It made my day when author Angie Thompson contacted me to ask if I’d like to read her new book and help share about it!! Of course I said yes. 🙂
I downloaded a copy on my phone and read it straight through in one evening!
Here are some of my jumbled thoughts…
A Brother is Born by Angie Thompson
Benny’s coming hadn’t changed anything—or had it?
With a new foster kid joining Alex Carson’s family, everyone is prepared for changes. So when Benny slips into the tight-knit group with barely a ripple, the family is at once surprised and delighted.
But beneath the surface, deeper waters are stirred as Alex finds herself at odds with Jess over his jokes on the unsuspecting and gullible Benny. Will Jess’s teasing and her own insecurities separate Alex from her brother? Or can a surprising source teach them a needed lesson in love?
- This was a unique foster story. Benny had been raised by his grandma up until the start of the story, so he was sweet and actually excited to meet the MC’s family. So I thought that was cool.
- I was confused for a bit about who was related to who and what Jess and Alex’s backstory is, but hold on a little longer because it all becomes clear pretty soon.(Also, Alex is the MC girl’s nickname and Johnny is the girl cousin.)
- The four cousins’ inside jokes were complicated and funny and so real!!
- In fact I would ship the MC and her quiet boy cousin if they weren’t related… *hides* 😛 They just understood each other so well and stuck up for each other!
- Poor Alex is short for her age, and I totally related to her struggles throughout the book. Um and I thought me and my bffs were the only ones who sit on counters… love it, must be a short thing! lol
- I LOVE the aunt and uncle!!
- Ohmyword the road trip is painfully and hilariously accurate. xD That whole part had me snickering.
- Johnny was awesome. Spunky, curly-haired, and with a spark of temper she is probably the character I enjoyed the most. ❤
- “In spite of Aunt Liz’s precautions, precedent held, and by the next afternoon Ty and I were both down with sore throats and fevers. The morning after, Johnny rolled over and shut off the alarm with a groan of “thanks for sharing, Alex,” …” << see! She just lives life all the way and often with a laugh!
- My favorite of all scenes was probably… definitely… for sure… the “happy almost birthday” phone call. NOOO spoilers!
- Alex’s brother Jess annoyed me a lot for awhile I guess because he was annoying the MC (though he was neat in the accidental car Bible study scene), but he does get cooler later. Like, in the climax. XD
- I guess I felt everything really deeply. The happy parts and the not-so-fun parts. So while it left me exhausted and a little down, that was GOOD WRITING!!
THANK YOU, Angie, for writing this book and asking me to read it!!
Y’all should grab a copy and tell me what you think! ~Anna
This post is part of a cool double-release blog tour, so make sure to check out the other book as well!
Here’s a quick sneak peek of By Paths Unknown by Rebekah Morris!
“You men were cutting it mighty close this time,” Mrs. Jasperson remarked loudly to be heard above the rain. “I kept watching for you to come driving up.”
“You needn’t worry, Mother,” Mr. Jasperson said. “Sam knows the weather and gave us enough time.”
“Well, one of these days he might cut it too close and then where will you be?”
Sam grinned at Austin and gave him a wink.
<< Follow the blog tour here!